May 6, 2013 3:02 PM

Biffle Gets Collected in "Big One" at Talladega

Talladega, Ala. (May 5th, 2013) – Superspeedway racing at Talladega always leads to a wild race and has everyone waiting on the edge of their seats for the “big one,” the inevitable wreck that collects multiple competitors.  After starting 17th due to qualifying getting rained out on Saturday, Biffle worked his way up to the top five before being collected in the “big one,” a wreck involving 16 cars, just 44 laps into the 188-lap event.  The team worked hard to get Biffle back on the track in the 3M Safety Ford to earn the most points out of a tough situation.  Biffle ultimately crossed the finish line 36th, 51 laps down to the field, but picked up a few valuable spots by not giving up.

“I just saw them wrecking above me,” said Biffle.  “I thought about going to the left, I had plenty of room and probably should have, but I didn’t.   I just stayed straight and moved down all I could and it wasn’t enough.  They got me in the right-rear and turned me the wrong way up into the wall, a pretty hard hit, but that’s all you can do is hang on when stuff like that happens.”

After two successful practice sessions on Friday the rains came Saturday, washing out Sprint Cup qualifying.  The line-up was then set off the first practice session, setting Biffle up 17th for the green flag on Sunday. 

Biffle’s 17th-place starting position set him up on the bottom line for the green flag.  The top line freight-trained the bottom, dropping him back to 33rd by lap two.  With plenty of racing ahead Biffle took his time maneuvering his way to the front and told the team his Ford drove pretty good. 

The first caution came out on lap 23 when the yellow flag waved for the slow No. 21 machine.  Biffle pitted for four tires, fuel and a right-rear wedge adjustment.  He restarted 16th and by lap 39 was up to fifth.

On lap 44 the No. 18 of Kyle Busch got into the back of Kasey Kahne in the No. 5 and created a ripple effect through the field.  Biffle almost escaped unscathed, but was hit in the right-rear and turned into the outside wall.  More contact ensued and the No. 16 3M Safety Ford was sent to the garage for repairs.  After just 51 laps the 3M Pit Bulls had Biffle back on the track, then 30 laps later the rain returned.

A big storm blew through the Talladega track, but after three and a half hours the track was ready for the field to finish the race.  Biffle took the green 36th and kept up with the pack to earn a 36th-place finish at Talladega despite the damage to his Ford.  The on-track incident dropped Biffle to 10th in the point standings.

David Ragan pulled out a win in the green-white-checkered finish.  His Front Row teammate David Gilliland took home second, while Carl Edwards, Michael Waltrip and Jimmie Johnson rounded out the top five.  Next up is Saturday night racing under the lights at Darlington.  Pre-race coverage beings at 6:00pm ET on Fox.

Bojangle’s Southern 500
1.366-mile Darlington Raceway
Darlington, S.C.
Saturday, May 11, 2013

Follow Roush on

Copyright 2014 Roush Fenway Racing. All Rights Reserved